Wednesday, September 12, 2012

MRI and Dr. Visit

We went to Iowa City today for another MRI to see if everything was still stable with Eden.  Dr. Menezes met with us afterwards to discuss Eden's future care.  The MRI showed no changes.  The ventricles were stable and growing steadily with the rest of her body.  Her head had grown and moved into the 85% but they said that really isn't in relation to her ventricles because like I said, they are stable.  He didn't act concerned about her head size.  He said the cyst that is in there has actually shrunk a little since our June MRI.  This doesn't necessarily mean anything either since the cyst is hard to measure because of the shape.  It is possible that it's pretty much the same size since birth.  Dr. Menezes did exactly what I thought he would do.  He basically told us if we aren't going to listen to his advice then he doesn't need to see us in his department anymore.  I understand where he is coming from but wish we had more time.  He really made me feel like he believes this would be the best care for her.  He fought for why and I didn't hesitate to argue different things with him about my reservations.  He was much more in tune with who Eden is.  He asked questions about her development, played with her and interacted with her.  I felt like he was looking at her as more then just another patient.  Last time this was not the case.  He could tell Brian and I were and have been really taking her care to heart and trying to diagnose her ourselves which we are completely under qualified to do.  It has been a huge stress on my shoulders but at the same time I have never felt like we weren't doing what God wanted us to do.  He got very sincere with us and grabbed my hand and I just said, "I really care about her and want what's best for her."  He kindly said he cares a lot about her too and that we need to let him care for he like he knows how.  I saw a softer side of Dr. Menezes.  We agreed to do the surgery.  I am scared but trusting.  Dr. Menezes said since it isn't an emergency we could kind of pick when we wanted to do it.  We asked what the longest was he would let us wait and he asked what the soonest was that we felt comfortable with?  Together we came up with November 6th.  It feels right and I feel like a weight has been lifted.  God placed Dr. Menezes, this very intelligent, very skilled doctor in our lives for a reason...I need to trust.  God is giving me peace about this and Brian is pretty happy we are going ahead with it too.  I am so glad that Eden is this much older and we didn't do it way back in June like the doctor originally wanted to.  God's timing is perfect!  Now, let the prayers begin.  I am going to be praying that if this isn't what God has planned for Miss Eden that he will make it very obvious.  Eden has to have another MRI the day before her surgery and I am going to be praying that the MRI will show some kind of improvement and that Dr. Menezes won't need to operate at all!  Hey, nothing is too big for God!

No comments: