Monday, August 02, 2010

Alanna Rae is Here!

What a fun and exciting weekend. We got home on Thursday morning from the river and were only home for the night before getting a phone call at 2am from Emily saying that her water broke. She had plans for the boys for that night to go to their babysitters house so they didn't need anybody at the house right away but didn't know what they were going to do with the boys for the weekend. Since mom was held up in Iowa City with my dad having surgery, she wasn't available to be with the boys. So I had the privilege of hanging out with them all weekend. There would be way more photos too except my camera battery died so this is what I got! We had so much fun! My mom slept at Emily and Adam's since she needed somewhere to sleep so she had to go back and forth between IC and Independence (so she was there a little in the evenings and in the mornings). That was a huge help! We are so thankful that she had safe travels going back and forth all the times that she did. Friday, after my dad came out of recovery, mom gave hugs and kisses and then headed to Adam and Emily's for the night. Once she arrived, we fed the kids supper and all hopped in the car to go to the hospital. The boys were so excited to meet their new baby sister! We didn't stay long since with us came a lot of chaos with that many kids! Brian met us there and then drove on to Independence to stay the night. On Saturday we played all day long! Mom wanted to get back to dad right away in the morning so she had to leave. And Brian left at about the same time too (he wanted to go home to golf). Saturday night I got all the kids baths and in bed-definitely not a small feat! I gave Ethan, Bennett and Keziah one all together (another great photo op:(). They were having so much fun I felt bad making them get out. When they were all dressed and in bed I bathed Adah (who was incredibly tired and hungry but patiently waiting with Austin until I could help her). Austin was such a big help all the time too. Ethan adores Austin so he came in handy when Ethan woke up from his Saturday nap missing his mommy and daddy a bunch. He was also a huge help with Adah. If I was busy helping the other three with a meal or something, Austin would keep Adah company or at least watch her while she played on the floor.

I didn't think mom was going to be coming back Saturday since dad was begging to get out of the hospital, but they couldn't get his pain under control so they told him he needed to stay another night. So once again mom made the drive back to Independence. She got back just in time to walk in the kitchen and start doing dishes and cleaning with me. We also wanted to put together some kind of dish for super on Sunday once they all got home from the hospital. It was another long day for mom! But we treated ourselves with some ice cream from DQ! Sunday was a great day too. We got up and started planning for Alanna's arrival. The kids all got really excited to decorate letters spelling out a welcome home for Alanna (I wish I could have gotten a picture of it!). Mom left shortly after banana chocolate chip pancakes (delicious)! Brian went to church in the morning and then came to Independence to welcome Alanna home and get another glimpse at her. Emily and Adam and Alanna arrived home about 2pm. All the kids were taking naps so I got to have Alanna all to myself for a little bit! What a sweet and precious gift from God. Babies are so amazing!

My kids did great too. I was very impressed with how well they all played together. Ethan and Kezzie tend to work against each other but this weekend they got along so well! I was particularly impressed with how well we all did sleeping in the same room. The only bad habit we have brought home from there is Kezzie insists the door not be closed all the way at nap and bed time (being in a strange place, I never closed the door all the way the whole time we were there). It's one of her favorite phrases now when it comes close to time to go to bed, 'don't close the door all the way?!'

No comments: