Monday, April 16, 2012

Steroid update!

I called today as instructed to do if Eden was still having seizures.  The nurse I talked to was really surprised to hear from me.  They were pretty confident that the steroid was going to work.  She wanted to know what dose she was at (because instead of switching to a different med they would up the steroid to a higher dose) and asked me to read her what was on the bottle.  Before I could get to the fridge to look she said, 'oh never mind I have it right here.'  She rattled off some numbers.  Before I put the bottle back in the fridge I asked her if she still wanted me to read her anything off the bottle.  To which she replied, 'yeah, why don't you tell me what the numbers are at the bottom.'  I read her the numbers and she said, 'I am so sorry, Erin.  That dose is completely wrong.'  I couldn't believe it. She said Eden was getting 8mg/day and should have been getting 40mg/day.  I thought I was worried before!  My worry just quadrupled!  So for the last 5 days Eden has been taking a much lesser dose than she should have.  Praise God that we figured it out.  Brian quickly went to the pharmacy and picked up the right concentration.  The pharmacy was very apologetic and after getting past our anger, we understand people make mistakes.  We are just thankful Eden is ok so no harm done.  God has his hand of protection on her!  So the nurse told me what to give her to get her to a full dose for today since I already gave her the wrong dose this morning.  She had a seizure one hour after she had the full dose but hasn't had anymore today.  We are so hopeful that this is going to take care of them.  I am just praying so much that the side effects are minimal!  I will keep you updated!

No comments: