Sunday, August 03, 2008

My junk, their treasure!!

I forgot what is so great about having a garage sale and was reminded this weekend. Not only is it nice to earn a little extra cash, but you also get to see the face of somebody who thinks of your 'junk' as 'treasure', and so the story goes...We have quite a few foreign families that live on our streets here in New Hampton so this was a good experience for Austin as he sat with Jamie and I at the garage sale. A few different times we had vehicle loads show up and they would all pile out and purchase a few things (always trying to make a deal). One time I think I accidentally almost had my car sold between the few words I could understand. And Austin often times just nodded his head in agreeance hoping they would stop talking to him since he couldn't understand anything. But anyway, a couple of these men showed up and immediately wanted our futon we had for sale. I was inside feeding Keziah so I didn't get to experience this at all but the story Jamie gave me was enough to know it was all worth it. Neither of the guys spoke much English at all so I guess a lot of hand gestures and explaining went on. The one guy explained that he just started working here and hadn't received a paycheck yet so he couldn't afford the futon priced at what it was. Jamie kindly asked if he had a friend he could borrow the money from. She also went on to explain that we would take less. He didn't understand this so she started counting down from $20. He got out his wallet and showed her that a $10 bill was all he had and she took it. She said he was so excited at the good deal he got. I could just imagine the look on his face. The two guys couldn't fit it in their bronco so they got creative and placed the fully assembled futon on the top of their vehicle and with one guy hanging out the back holding onto it for dear life, they drove off! I am so glad that I got rid of that futon and even more happy that those men now have a place to sit!

No comments: