Sunday, August 28, 2011

Austin is a TEENAGER!!!


Here he is on his actual birthday.  It was a thursday so there wasn't much we could do to celebrate until the weekend.  We did however have Brian's parents over for some Poor Richards Pizza and a nice Hawkeye cake that just happened to be already designed and sitting at the Charles City Hy-Vee bakery!  Funny story: I was carefully loading all my groceries into the van and keeping the cake safely off to the side when a bag I was loading bumped it and sent it rolling across the parking lot.  To make it even worse someone was watching the whole thing and promptly let me know that I dropped something.  Luckily it was a round cake with a football on top to keep it from hitting the top and a tray on the bottom to keep it fairly centered and from hitting the sides too badly!  I laugh now but at the time was not in any hurry to pick it up off the pavement and see the damage which is why that person who saw it all happen felt the need to tell me I had dropped something.  I was pleasantly surprised that it was still edible!

It is so hard to believe that I have been a mom to this boy for 13 years.  So many of those years are such a blur as I worked to get through college and meet the man of my dreams along with trying to play out some of the last of my teenage days (thanks mom and dad for helping us get through those years)!  I am so incredibly thankful for Austin in my life and wouldn't have it any other way.  He brings so much joy to my every day.  I love to hear his stories (most of them fish stories) and love watching his innovative-ness.  He is so creative and sweet and has such a loving heart.  Even when he isn't at his kindest to me he always feels regret and apologizes without being asked.  I am also impressed by how great of a big brother he is. I knew he would be, but as a boy who has always wanted a brother he does a great job of making the best of it!  I am always amazed at the games he makes up to play with Kezzie.  He loves his sisters and I don't think he would trade them for anything!   

Actually, for Austin's birthday, he celebrated by having a friend come to the river with us.  This is a huge responsibility for me so it was definitely a treat for him to get to do that.  I haven't ever allowed it before!  Here is the post about that weekend.  I felt bad when the weekend was all over and I realized that we didn't really do anything the whole weekend to acknowledge it was his birthday.  Although, I did say a couple times, "well, since this is your birthday celebration we can do that" (get McD's, get ice cream, we let him get fireworks, etc.)  I think he had a great weekend and I learned that really it wasn't any trouble at all to have a friend along (I just worry about the safety of a kid other than my own)!  They were responsible and safe at all times and listened quite well.  I was thankful for the friend he brought along.  He is a good kid!

Here we are on the Sunday after his birthday.  We celebrated at my mom and dad's with all the family there.  Aunt Emi made Austin's favorite dessert (m&ms and marshmallows drizzled with chocolate over a peanut butter crust).  Everyone took some time to watch him ride his mini bike (Keith even took a ride), and we all enjoyed the last of the air show taking place in Waterloo (what we could see was awesome).  It was a great day!  Austin mostly received money/gift cards for his birthday but he also got an awesome RC boat to drive around at Garnett Pond or the river and a car that he can take apart and put together with different wheels etc. along with a couple new lures to go fishing with!

And of course the traditional Happy Birthday song!!

No comments: